Tuesday, June 21, 2011

The Everydayness of it All @ M.F. Hussain Gallery, new Delhi

SONG: Everything is Everything by Lauryn Hill.

This critical Hip-Hop song carries the essence of rap music, distinct from the commercial rap popularized around the world In this choreo-installation -my second collaboration with Dalit muralist Savi Sawakar- I look at the everydayness of walking down the street, donning all of the various bodies surrounding me. One aspect of my life in Delhi was the gawking, the glaring that made me aware of my social difference each time I stepped in public. At the same time, I longed to see the world around me, but often felt isolated by the stares, made into a human exhibit, a Hottentot as people would literally stop and stare, pint and discuss me, talk at me, but only rarely talking to me. In this piece, I engage in a dialogue with all those people around in public space, and re-create this dialogue within the context of Savi's images which depict India's 'untouchable, inside a gallery named after a Muslim artist who often depicts the lives of the Hindu majority, reflecting the tension in majority/minority power relations that fall into the background of our everyday lives.

No comments:

Post a Comment